Skip to main content
Cincinnati Immigration lawyer Christopher Pogue, Esq. - Ohio Attorney, Visas, Green Card, Citizenship, Marriage, Fiance(e) Law Office of Christopher M. Pogue, 810 Sycamore Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, usa immigration, ohio immigration, cincinnati immigration, immigration legal, best immigration lawyer, top immigration lawyer, the most reviewed and highest rated immigration attorney in the Tri-state - cases include - Marriage, K-1, Adjustment of Status, Consular Processing, Naturalization, Athletes, Entertainers, Investors, Employers, and Employees.Why hire an immigration attorney? Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Ohio Immigration Attorney Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Ohio Immigration Lawyer, K visa (Fiance(e), Marriage, Green Card, CitizenshipChristopher Pogue, Ohio lawyer, Cincinnati immigration attorney, visa, citizenship, Green Card, Marriage, Fiance(e)Family visas, Fiance visas, k-1, marriage visas, parent visas, I-130, I-485, Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer US Business visas, H1-B, PERM, Green Card, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-5, national interest waiverUseful immigration linksCincinnati Immigration Lawyer BlogContact us, Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Ohio Immigration Attorney


Naturalization is the immigration process for a person not born in the United States to voluntarily become a U.S. citizen. A green card holder (permanent resident) may apply for citizenship five years after obtaining permanent residence (3 years if the permanent residence was obtained through marriage to a U.S. citizen).

Some of the benefits to U.S. citizenship include: (1) travel with a U.S. passport; (2) apply for federal jobs including public office; (3) vote in elections; (4) serve on a jury; (5) protection from immigration removal; (6) preference in applying for permanent residence for family members; and (7) estate tax benefits to surviving spouse and beneficiaries of your estate.

The U.S. does not require you to abandon your foreign citizenship. However, some countries require you to give up your foreign citizenship if you become a U.S. citizen.

Applying for citizenship is not required. A person may choose to maintain permanent residence status indefinitely and never choose to become a U.S. citizen. Neither is citizenship automatic — you must meet certain requirements to apply for citizenship. Some of the most common requirements include:

  • Continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years immediately before applying for citizenship (or at least 3 years if permanent residence was obtained through marriage to a U.S. citizen);
  • Physical presence in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately before applying for citizenship (or at least 18 months of the 3 years if permanent residence was obtained through marriage to a U.S. citizen);
  • The ability to read, write, and speak basic English;
  • A basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics);
  • Good moral character;
  • Adherence to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.

"Experienced, expert immigration advice at an affordable price."

Marriage Petitions, marriage adjustment of status, marriage sos
Marriage Case Mistakes
Same Sex Marriage immigration, gay marriage immigration, Cincinnati, Ohio, gay marriage legalization
US Immigration Marriage petitions, Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Attorney, Marriage Adjustment of Status
Fiancé(e) petition, Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Attorney, K-1 fiance visa
Citizenship, Cincinnati, Naturalization
Visa overstays - Legalizing out of status family members
Dream Act / Deferred Action DACA

The Pogue Law Firm LLC
Of Counsel with the Fleischer Law Firm LLC
810 Sycamore Street, 2nd Floor - Cincinnati, Ohio 45202            

This website and the information on it is not legal advice. Do not rely upon any information found on this website or through the links on this website.  You must contact our law firm AND enter into a written legal retainer agreement in order to obtain legal advice from our law firm for your situation. Contact us today so that we can provide you legal advice for your case.